5 Ways to Winterize Your Home
Hoses, Outside Spigots, & Sprinkler Systems
- Disconnect garden hoses from exterior faucets to keep water from freezing in the hose and rupturing the faucet.
- If your exterior faucets have cut-off valves, close them and drain the faucets. If they don’t, insulate them with foam faucet covers.
- Shut off your sprinkler system, if you have one. Use an air compressor to force water out of the pipes to prevent freezing.
Smoke Detectors & CO Monitors
- Change the batteries in existing smoke detectors and CO monitors.
- Install a carbon monoxide detector near the furnace or water heater, or both.
- Test smoke and carbon monoxide detectors to ensure they are working properly
Furnace & HVAC
- Have your furnace serviced to make sure it is working properly and safely.
- Change your furnace filters. Dirty filters makes your furnace work harder. In most homes, filters should be changed monthly in the heating season.
With so much going on in our daily lives, it’s hard to remember the little things like filter changes. But at GreenBox, we know how important a clean filter is to the life of your HVAC system and the air quality in your home. So, we created a monthly filter change reminder you can receive by email or text. Sign up with the link below.
Gutters & Downspouts
- Clean rain gutters and downspouts after the leaves have fallen. Leaves and other debris clog gutters, which can create an ice dam on the roof.
- Check for and repair any loose gutters.
- If you hate climbing a ladder, or don’t want to deal with the yucky mess that’s in your gutters, give us a call and we can come out and do it for you.